SHANGHAI - This 21 year old Australian will be allowed to return to action next month if he agrees to see a sports psychologist. Nick Kyrgios has been suspended until January 15 by the ATP for his conduct during last week's Masters 1000 event in Shanghai.
He has also been slapped with an additional $25,000 fine on top of the $16,500 fine he was handed last Thursday.
Kyrgios was ordered to pay $16,500 for breaching the ATP code of conduct during his second-round defeat to Mischa Zverev in China five days ago. His charges included lack of best efforts, verbal abuse of a spectator and unsportsmanlike conduct.
Kyrgios will be allowed to return to the tour on November 7 if he agrees to see a sports psychologist.
"Nick's conduct in Shanghai was unacceptable, disrespectful to the sport, and its fans. We take these matters very seriously, and he has since apologised for his actions. Nick is a phenomenal talent, and our hope is that he uses this time away from the Tour constructively and, with some support, is able to return to competition with an improved mind-set and stronger than ever before," The ATP's executive chairman and president, Chris Kermode said.
"Following the ATP’s decision today I would like to take this opportunity to apologise again for the circumstances in Shanghai. The season has been a long one as I battled several injuries and other challenges towards the end of the summer. The Asian circuit was particularly tough after the long week and win in Tokyo and with the travel throughout the continent, my body finally just gave out in Shanghai both physically and mentally," Kyrgios said.
"This is no excuse, and I know very well that I need to apologise to the fans – in Shanghai and in other parts of the world – as well as the tournament organisers in Shanghai who do an amazing job. I of course know how important the fans are to the success of our sport and I personally love the interaction with fans in the many different cities throughout the world on the tennis circuit. I am someone who gives a huge amount of time to my fans because I love and value their support," he added.
"Their energy is what motivates me to reach for the top of the game. I regret that my year is ending this way and that I will not have a chance to continue chasing the ATP Finals.
"This was an important goal for me. I do understand and respect the decision by the ATP and I will use this time off to improve on and off the court. I am truly sorry and look forward to returning in 2017."
Tennis Australia backed the ATP's decision to suspend Kyrgios, who is currently the world's 14th-ranked player.
“Tennis Australia will support the ATP sanction on Nick Kyrgios following recent events in Shanghai. Nick’s health and wellbeing is a priority and the ATP has offered a reduced penalty on the provision that he seeks appropriate professional advice, which he has agreed to do. Nick understands the gravity of his actions, has shown remorse and expressed a willingness to improve," statement from Tennis Australia.
“We believe it’s our responsibility to help Nick, along with all our young athletes, improve both professionally on court as a player, and personally. We have always offered assistance and advice to Nick and his team and will continue to do so,” they added
Kyrgios's fledgling career has been marred by a number of misconduct issues.
In a match against Milos Raonic at Wimbledon 2014, the youngster threw his racket into the ground with such force that it bounced into the crowd, while he also confronted a spectator during the same match after claiming he heard her saying something about him and laughing.