JAKARTA - Minister of Marine Affairs and Fisheries, Susi Pudjiastuti asserted, will not change attitude related to its policy regarding halt the use of cantrang in Indonesia territorial waters.
"I know, the policy can never be perfect, but with the condition of lot of fish, I am sure the perpetrators of fishing, big shipbuilders no longer need to use tools that damage the environment. With all the calculations and analysis, Mr. Jokowi, me and the entire team remain firm that cantrang used should be stopped," said Susi when hearing with Commission IV House of Representatives in Jakarta, Wednesday (10/7).
According to him, all parties should not polemicize and raise the cantrang problem again. President Jokowi, said Susi, also did not want energy run out just because thinking about the problem of fishing that is not environmentally friendly.
"Supposedly we do not polemics and more about fishing gear which is not environmentally friendly. President did not want energy of ministry continue to be used and exploited for one fishing gear only. The fish is a lot, the stock has gone up and I'm sure in the next three years fish stocks will reach 20 million tons," she said.
Previously President Joko Widodo (Jokowi) had admitted bored because from year to year the affairs cantrang never go out. According to the former governor of Jakarta fishermen should change and not continue to struggle to work with the old pattern.
For known, cantrang used by fishing boats measuring less than 10 gross tons will be replaced with fishing equipment prepared by the government, while the owners of bigger boats will be allocated loans from state-owned lenders Bank Rakyat Indonesia (BRI) and Bank Tabungan Negara (BTN). Cantrang was previously grouped under the category of instruments Susi banned in Ministerial Regulation No. 2/2015.