SKOPJE - The Champions League winners struck through Isco and Casemiro, and threatened to embarrass Manchester United. The Reds Devil were outclassed as this Spanish and European champions in UEFA Super Cup with victory in a sweltering Skopje.
Madrid dominated from the start and led when Casemiro, who earlier hit the bar, slid in a half volley.
They doubled their lead when Isco calmly slotted in from eight yards after a neat one-two with Gareth Bale, who started ahead of Cristiano Ronaldo. New £75m United striker, Romelu Lukaku tapped in before Marcus Rashford scuffed wide.
The Europa League winners were given encouragement by Lukaku's strike, despite rarely threatening the Madrid goal in the previous hour, and could have scored a barely deserved equaliser through half-time substitute Rashford with nine minutes left.
United were unable to create another clear-cut chance as Madrid became the first team to retain the Super Cup since 1990.
FACTS, STATS, GOALS AND LOLS
1. Despite dominating possession and spurning several good chances, Real Madrid's opener shouldn't have stood. Casemiro was clearly offside, and despite his gorgeous finish, it shouldn't have stood.
2. After scoring in the Champions League final, the game that got them into this 'Cup' Casemiro had netted again. Not Madrid's usual go-to man for netbusters, but hits it when it counts.
3. On 30 minutes, there was a cooling break. But Manchester United boss Jose Mourinho barely let his players have time to drink water as he delivered a volley of criticism and tactical improvements.
4. Manchester United fans must have been left wondering if they had been duped into signing an imposter. Their £40m man Nemanja Matic looked lost at times in the middle of the park, with Isco giving him, and the rest, the runaround.
5. Despite the fact that it was reported Cristiano Ronaldo fell out with Jose Mourinho, but at half-time the two embraced with a hug. Sweet.
6. The Premier League will be expecting a big season from Paul Pogba and the rest of the United midfield. But in the first 45 minutes they couldn't get anywhere close to dominating the middle of the park, completing just 161 passes to Madrid's 309.
7. Romelu Lukaku had the fewest touches of any outfield player in the first half of the Super Cup. Ploughing a lone furrow. He then blazed an effort over the bar in the 52nd minute from six yards.